Ok, so it took me a few days longer than I thought to find time to write about the title of this blog.
When I turned 29, I decided to put together a list of 30 things I wanted to accomplish by the time I turned 30. These things might have seemed a little random to an outside observer, but actually every one contributed something to a goal or project I was working on at the time. Some things were very big and intimidating, like sending one of the books I have been working on to a publisher, and some were very small, like ride in a fire engine. I am the type of person who responds well to goals, and focusing on this list gave me direction to keep moving forward and not stagnate.
Number 8 on that list was "learn to walk in high heels".
Two plus years have come and gone since writing the 30 by 30 list, and many of those things were checked off. Some were put on hold due to pregnancy. And even though it required dedication and hard work to accomplish many of the items on the list, I remember being so proud of myself when I realized that I had learned to walk in heels. And the really funny thing is that there wasn't any special program or structure needed. I simply bought a pair of heels, and started walking around in them. Putting one foot in front of the other. After a while, I felt balanced where I used to feel unstable. I felt strong where I used to feel weak. I felt graceful where I used to feel awkward. And damn! I look good wearing high heels!
Is there a metaphor for life in this somewhere? I think so.
So the blog name is to remind me (and you) that it is possible to learn to do pretty much anything I need to or want to do if I just put on the shoes and keep putting one foot in front of the other. To remind me that I can find balance and strength and grace in things that are hard for me. And to remind me that after the hard times comes the reward, like shopping for shoes at the end of a long and exhausting week.
1 comment:
Heck yeah, we walk in high heels. I do believe it was my idea to put that one on the list, eh?? I'm proud that we can do it now (I am not fantastic at it, but I can get around. All thanks to practicing in my roommates shoes until I improved enough to try it out at church!!) But yeah, that's an awesome life metaphor...love ya, sis, I'm so proud of you for how you are living your life and beating the odds of your situation. You are just lovely.
Post a Comment