Sunday, December 11, 2011

Right Now: What I love about her

Her sweet, helpful heart.  She's very thoughtful and is often on the lookout for ways to help others.  She asks me often whether there is a job I need her to do or a way she can help me.  I am so happy to be raising a little one who can see past herself and is learning the value of giving to others. 


Her friendly spirit.  We live in a condo building and have some great neighbors, and if Riley had her way, she'd visit each of them at least once a day.   She says Hello to anyone who makes eye contact with her, and smiles at every passerby.   More than once, I've had someone stop to tell me her smile made their day.  It's a gift I hope she continues to give to others. 

Her active imagination.  Today our hallway was a pirates' cove, chock full of alligators.  We had to jump and leap to get through safely.  Yesterday, my bed was the inside of a rocket ship and she was getting ready to fly to the moon.  She is, on any given evening, a princess, a dancer, a doctor or maybe (to my personal wonderment) an orphan.  Her imaginative play is so much fun to observe, and even more fun to be a part of.  I love seeing what she'll come up with next.
 Her silly personality.  She has a great sense of humor, tells goofy stories and loves playing practical jokes.  She hides my keys and tells me, very innocently, that maybe I'm going crazy, or will sneak in and shut off the lights when I'm taking a shower.  Life isn't dull with her around. 

Her inquisitive mind.   The questions are endless with this one, and I find myself looking up random things to satisfy her - the latest:  how hot popcorn kernels need to be to pop (about 356 F, FYI.)  I love that she wants to know about the world around her and is willing to keep asking and wondering until it makes sense to her.
Her sassy, confident attitude.   I've heard her tell herself, while staring in the mirror, that she is the prettiest, smartest, funniest (insert complimentary adjective here) girl she knows.  I love that she thinks this about herself (I agree with her!) and that she hasn't yet learned to be hard on herself or to dwell on her shortcomings.  I hope this is something she holds on to for her whole life.

Her loving, giving soul.  I can't count the number of times she tells me each day that she loves me, or that I'm her favorite mama, or that she thinks I'm so, so, so, so pretty (yes, I love this. I"ll admit it. )  I see her treat others kindly and often hear her say nice things to strangers and friends alike.  She hugs easily and shows affection constantly.  Her sweetness is one of the things I cherish about her right now. 

2 comments:

melissa said...

Oh wow... just like her mom :)

Shelley said...

You got a gem!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...