Sunday, December 4, 2011

Fa-la-la-la-la


If you know me, you probably have heard me complain about the Holidays.  I don't really like them.  It's not that I have anything against celebrations or Santa or playing in the snow or the birth of Christ.   I love all of those things.  What I hate is the madness, the busy-ness, the tension, the focus on money and consumerism and 'stuff', and the things i dislike seem to be taking over the things I love.   It stresses me out and makes me irritable, right in the middle of a season that is supposed to be filled with joy and cheer.

Fa-la-la-la-la la-la-freakin'-la.

So...this year, I decided to make the season as positive as I could by getting rid of as much of the stuff I dislike about the holidays, and focusing on what I like and what I enjoy.  So, I made sure my Christmas shopping was done before Thanksgiving.  I made a list and I have stuck with it.  I set a budget and didn't budge (hehe) from it.  I decided which of the holiday parties and social events I will attend, and which I will respectfully decline.  And I am really trying to make sure that the things I do that keep me sane (working out, eating well, getting enough sleep, seeing my friends) aren't sacrificed to the cause of those that make me insane.

I can't say that I'm completely in the Christmas Spirit (that would be an outright lie) but I'm not a complete downer about it, either. So far, I've enjoyed helping watching Riley decorate our tree- all the ornaments are clustered on two branches- and I'm helping with some clothing drives, which is rewarding.  Riley has a short list of Christmas things she wants to do (Go see Santa, enjoy the lights at Temple Square, etc.) and other than that, we're trying to stay on our routine as much as possible.

It's just a few weeks out of the year, and I'll get through them happily enough.  But I will say that the spa day that I 'heard' Santa will be leaving for me - well, it's doing it's part in keeping my spirits bright.


No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...