Tuesday, November 29, 2011

My Happy Place

See this closet?  (pardon the very poor lighting and composition.)

This closet used to contain an awkward storage unit, a weirdly placed clothes bar that didn't actually fit anything well, and some odd sized shelves.  I had pretty much just left it alone- storing my biking, hiking and ski gear there and writing it off as a poor design decision someone else made, and an issue that I didn't want to deal with. 

Then, over Labor Day weekend, I was itching for a little DIY project and this closet was where my mind landed.  I have wanted a dedicated space where I could spread out whatever project I was working on for quite a while, and I realized that, with the right modifications, this closet might fit the bill perfectly. 

So I did some serious deconstruction work - those organizers and shelves were screwed, nailed and glued into the wall (I guess whoever put them in really didn't want them to come out).  Then I did some serious reconstruction work- I basically ended up tearing down to the sheet rock in most places, the deconstruction causing a couple of large holes in others.  I ended up patching, taping, mudding, texturing, priming and painting the closet walls before they looked right. 

Then I hung new shelves, added a table that fit the space, figured out some lighting options (although this will be upgraded in the near future) and moved my supplies into their new home. 

And.....VOILA! 

  
It doesn't look like much, but I now have a perfectly appointed space where I can sew, craft, work on jewelry, paint, whatever....

I spend a lot of my time here these days.  I am really enjoying having somewhere I can let my creative juices run wild, and the best part is that if I leave an in-process project spread out, l can shut the doors from curious little four year old hands.  

I didn't expect to enjoy this closet re-do as much as I have, but I have found that I'm more apt to work on things now that I have the space to do them without leaving a huge mess around the rest of my condo.  

Who knew?

I love it when a project comes together even better than I expected. 


3 comments:

melissa said...

I LOVE this!!! You are so creative!

Steph said...

This is awesome! I love creative spaces. I love your closet. xo

Shelley said...

It turned out Great! Yes, it is so nice to have a creative space that is always there for you.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...