Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Inspiration today


After a summer that was a bit... well... we'll just say lacking in enlightenment... I'm happy to say that I'm finding my groove again, and soaking up some serious inspiration lately.  I have a few go-to sources for my creative mojo, and I wanted to share some of the people and words that are inspiring me lately. 


***
This blog post on Simplemom.net- I read this post on a quick break from work this morning, and I kept thinking "yes! yes! YES!" with every sentence.  It hits hard on the very things I'm struggling with lately-being able to release the idea of 'perfection,' and being ok with 'good enough.'  This Fall has brought a lot of changes to our little household, and has required a lot of adjustments to expectations, priorities and schedules (I'll admit it, I've had a hard time going with the flow sometimes.)  This post was a great reminder that it's unrealistic (also, unhealthy and unreasonable) to expect perfection - sometimes just getting out of bed and giving the day a go is the best that's gonna happen.  And that's ok.  Go read it.  Right now.  You'll be glad you did.



***
I met Liz Lamoreux and Kelly Barton my first year at Squam Art Workshops, and I just adore both of the.  Liz is a soulful, wise earth-mama with a wide, engaging smile and Kelly is goofy, playful and fun, with a heart of gold and something of a wild streak.  They've teamed up to launch Chickadee Road:  A Kindred Soul Party.  I'm looking forward to joining their challenges and keeping an eye on their various columns and features.  It's such a great place- go check it out! 

***
Even before I knew Maya -the woman, I admired Maya-the poet.  I subscribed to her 10 line Tuesdays, read her poetry blog, and when I heard she was going on the road for the 2010 Tour de Word, I immediately offered to host a poetry workshop in my home.  It was an amazing experience, and since then, I've spent time with her at Squam ("Does anyone have a yellow business suit and/or a teal tank top?")  and followed her many adventures online.   She's amazing.   She's insanely talented.  She's immensely fascinating.  She's a poet and a cyclist and a photographer.  She recreates hilarious photos.  And I hear she can cook.  But what I really love about her is that she dreams up these big, bold, BRAVE ideas...and then she goes out and does them!  I aspire to be like Maya when (if?) I grow up.  And when i go see my Jersey friends this spring - ahem,you know who you are - I'll definitely be showing up at the Highline to write on her 'Write on The Line' project.  I'm already looking forward to it.
the unforgettable maya stein
 ***
Oh, Jen.  The lovely Jen.  The peaceful, big-hearted Zen Jen.   I love her.  I met Jen at Squam by the Sea (notice a theme here?) and felt an instantaneous and immediate connection.  I really enjoyed getting to know her then, but since that time, we've both noted how synchronicity unfolds in our lives- there's definitely a karmic connection.  She's the mama to two beautiful girls, a yoga teacher, and an author in Philly, and the author of Love Notes, a monthly email source of inspiration and insight.  I often find that her words show up in my life exactly when and how I need to hear them, and I am continually grateful for her presence in my world. 

 These are just a few of women I found inspirational today.  What about you?  Who's inspiring you today? 

**And just as a side note...I only put a photo of Maya up because I didn't have one of the other ladies that I felt ok posting without their permission.  I have no idea why, seeing as they are all beautiful women and I'm pretty quick with my camera in the presence of loveliness.  And the one of Kelly- well, let's just say posting it would have ruined our friendship.  :) But please visit their sites using the links- this post contains some serious beauty, ya'll.


2 comments:

kelly barton said...

so i just read at the bottom.....what is this pic you have of me. i am sure my mouth is full of food or my eyes are closed. good times! ps. thank you for the kindness i owe you.

Amy said...

How did I miss this??? And yes, I know who I am and I am counting down the days until you and little miss Thing get here. Hurry up!!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...