Sunday, April 27, 2014

A blog tour (a week late)

Well, as usual, I seem to be running about a week late with things that aren't on my "must do to stay alive" list, so I'm about a week late in getting my blog post up for a blog tour I am part of.  I suck.  I know.  I'm ok with it.  Anyway....

I was asked to be part of a blog tour by the lovely and talented Eileen Nishi.  I met Eileen at Serendipity last October, and although we didn't really spend a lot of time together there,  any time we did interact I thought "this chic is just cool."  Since then, we've become blog/instagram/facebook friends and I admire her eye for  photography, her laid-back-mama-of-boys parenting style and her funky fashion style (her glasses! Her shoes! swoooon.)  You can check her out at www.westofwhimsy.com.  She's awesome.  Go see for yourself.

Anyway, on with my blog tour interview. 

What am I working on?
Most of my writing and photography these days is about capturing memories for my family and my daughter.  I burned out of scrapbooking in a very big way before Riley was even born, but I have been really diligent about taking photos and writing in my journal all along,  and I'm currently working on curating some of that into what I hope becomes a personal history of my life as a mother.  It's a very private undertaking, which is why I haven't talked much about it, and it's turning out to be deeply healing.  Besides that, I'm working on some other writing projects (fiction!  short stories!) and also working on a photo project that I hope to turn into something awesome someday.   

 How does my work differ from others of its genre?
I'm not even sure what my genre is. Blogger, I guess, although that feels more defined and real than I consider myself to be.  Writer is more accurate, because although I write all the time, 95% of the stuff I write will never show up on my blog.  I write about being me, being a mom, being a sister, daughter, aunt and friend.  I write about what's happening in my world and I write about how it makes me feel.  I write a lot of poetry - some good, some really, really bad. Character sketches.  Essays.  Lists.  Random crap.  I write a lot for no major reason, which perhaps is unique in and of itself.  I'm just trying to get the words out. 

Why do I write/create what I do?

Quite honestly, I write to stay sane.  Because there is not better way for me to work through an experience or process what I am feeling.  Because once I can lay down the words that are bouncing around my head into some sort of cogent structure, I can start to bring them to center and integrate them into my life story.  Simply put, if my words can't come together to tell the story, I know I have more soulwork to do.   My reason for my inteest in photography is also simple.  I take pictures because I want to remember things.  I try to learn about technique, composition and form because my life continues to offer up beautiful moments and I want to capture those in a way that reflects that beauty when possible.   It's that simple. 

How does your writing/creative process work?
One of my New Year's Intentions was to be more conciously and consistenly creative.  Althought I am constantly writing in my head, I am not the best about getting words down in a meaningful form unless I commit to it. So a few nights a week, I've been setting my timer for 30 or 45 minutes and just working on something.  Anything.  My photos, my writing, a jewelry piece, a sewing project or the Project Life Album Riley and I are keeping this year....whatever.  Something. I do something creative.  It sometimes feels forced, but when the timer rings, I'm always glad I did it. 

So, I had three people who agreed to take part in this tour, and for different and valid reasons, all three were all unable to do it.  So, how about some of my readers take over?  Anyone want to help continue this blog tour?  Shoot me an email and we'll get you going.  And thanks, Eileen, for the invitation to join!  

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...