The day before my Dad's birthday party (Mid May), I started to feel sorta under the weather. Nothing major, just a bug. Then it got worse. Coughing, fever, chest congestion. After a week, it required antibiotics. After two weeks, it became apparent that it required different antibiotics. My doctor actually wrote "The mother of all sinus infections" on my medical record as a diagnosis the second time I went in to see him. Awesome. A few days later, my doc added "in-office"breathing treatments, a steroid and an inhaler to the mix because the coughing was making my breathing wheezy and labored. Not so fun. And when I was heading out of town for work and knew I'd be kid free and able to get four really good nights of sleep, he added a strong nighttime cough medicine in hopes that some solid zzzzz's would help knock this out. (and oh, did I enjoy those drugged up, out cold nights!) It's been another two weeks, and the antibiotics and steroid are finished. I'm still using the inhaler more than I'd like, and I'm still coughing a lot. I'm still wiped out easily and early. I'm better - much, much better than I was - but i'm still not feeling great.
Suffice it to say, it's not been a whole lot of fun.
I wrote today in my morning pages about just how fed up I am with being sick and tired. It's interesting to me that, during all of this, I've only missed a couple of days of work. I still took my daughter to Disneyland and had a dang good time doing it! I still completed a trip to San Diego for a work conference. I've still cleaned my house and folded laundry and handled all the things that single mama hood throws into the mix. I'm not trying to claim superhero status - all of these things needed to be done and so I did them - sometimes you have to just push through. And oh yes - forgot to mention - on top all this off, I've also been dealing with the sale of my condo and purchasing a new house during the last month as well. So yeah...it's been a crazy, fun, eventful, exhausting month even without the added burden of a lingering illness. And so yeah...I'm ready to be done feeling sick and tired.
Part of my reflective journaling while recovering from this has been about knowing what other little things are showing up in my life and stealing my focus and energy, and how am I handling them? Do I ignore them and hope they'll go away, while I continue to try to do all the things that have to be done? Or do I do a good job of investigating and understanding them and taking time out to deal before some wicked combination of issues becomes critical and requires major intervention. I wish I could say that it's the latter, but my default mode is to keep going and keep doing until I just can't anymore. It's a sticky balance to find, because I really don't believe in dropping everything and going to bed when things aren't going right. I do believe that a sense or order and structure are helpful for me to feel good about how my life is going. I do think that a clean house -not perfection, but clean dishes, floors and laundry- is as important as brushing your teeth. Still, this past month has been teaching me a great big lesson in the importance of self care and the need to build in some room for recovery and rest.
For me, this is part of authentic living - knowing yourself well enough to know where that balance is. What must be done and what can wait? What is necessary and what is "nice to do?" What is self care and what is selfish? I'm still working through those details for myself and trying to find some basic guidelines, but one things is for certain - I'm sick and tired of being sick and tired. I can't do this again.
No comments:
Post a Comment