Instead of New Year's resolutions, I have selected a Word of the Year for the past 8 or so years. It serves as a guiding force for me each year, and I've come to rely on it as a way to really stay focused on what I want for myself at that time. I usually choose an intense, work-heavy words, selected to help propel me on some of my self-improvement goals. Words like "build," "stretch" and "move" are examples of past words of the year for me. Last year, as I was contemplating my word for 2015, I found that I was tired of those heavy, purpose-driven words. I had spent so many years working and building and stretching and moving, and those actions had served me well, but I was at a place in my life where I really wanted to focus on having fun. It was as simple as that - I just wanted to have fun.
So I chose that for my year - Fun.
Not play.
Not laugh.
Not enjoy.
Those all seemed too purposeful and too measurable. I wanted to make having fun a priority.
I chose fun.
So then I proceeded to choose fun all year. When I needed to choose between two options, I chose the one that would be the most fun. When I needed some guidance on what to do next, I did whatever was the most fun. I didn't just run amok for a year, gleefully acting irresponsible blaming it on the word of the year, but instead I kept my basic simple, healthy lifestyle, and after those values were met, I chose fun. And you know what? I had a lot of fun. So much fun. Heaps of fun. RIDICULOUS amounts of fun. All year long. And interestingly enough, I still built. I still grew. I still stretched. I still moved. I am still an employed adult who meets her obligations and serves as a productive member of society, but since my focus was on fun, it all just felt like FUN!
A few of the Fun highlights from 2015 (this is just a tiny snapshot of the fun times. There were so many more !)
Grown up girl's trip to Disneyland. The magic kingdom is even more magical when you are old enough to know that cotton candy, dole whips and the spinniest tea cup are not a good combination. FYI- I am not that old yet, apparently, because I still made myself sick, but I can appreciate the wisdom.
Spring Break in Austin to spend some quality time with one of my all-time favorite people and her girls. We basically talked and ate non-stop for seven days. It was literally the best possible way I could have spent that time.

Breezy June weekend in New York City with Arabella, which basically involved finding the best food possible and breaking that quest up by seeing Chicago, hitting up the Met and wandering the city in the rain. It was amazing!

Fall Break in Oregon with the Girl. We explored tide pools, wandered beach towns, talked and talked and talked as only Riley and I can, spent quality time with one of my favorite people, shopped for funky green shoes and indulged Riley's inner artist. It was dreamy.

At Riley's request, I dressed up for Halloween (which I never do.) It turned out to be so much FUN!

Christmas Cruise! Spa time! Whale Watching! Snorkeling! Kayaking! Laughing ourselves silly at absolutely nothing! Definitely one of the most fun ways I have ever spent Christmas!
One of the reasons that the Word of the Year works so well for me is that I truly believe that what you put your attention towards will thrive. In my own life, that has been proven to me again and again. 2015 had it's ups and downs, like any year, but by putting my focus on fun, I basically looked like the next photo all year - a little crazy looking but happy, alive and completely enjoying my life and the amazing people and experiences that are part of it.

It totally works for me.


No comments:
Post a Comment