What I can post for you, though, is a picture of my mother's day present to myself. I have been a fan of superhero jewelry for some time now, and I own a few of the superhero necklaces. I saw the superhero pendant about a month ago and knew I had to get it for myself for mother's day.
On the back of the pendant, it simply is engraved with the word "superhero".
I was drawn to the simple aesthetics of this necklace, but more than that, I wanted a symbol of what I hope to achieve as a mother. I want to be a superhero for my daughter. I want to be somebody she can look up to, admire, count on to help her out of tough situations and be there to catch her when she falls. I know I'm human, but I want her to believe I can leap tall buildings with a single bound, and know that even if it wasn't possible, I'd give it my best shot for her. I want her to have an example of someone that is honest, kind, compassionate, generous, creative, thoughtful, intelligent and brave and I want that example to be from me, as well as the many other wonderful people in her life. I know I am not perfect (far from it) but I am trying to live my life and make the kind of choices that bring me closer to "superhero" status for my bug. She deserves that and more. This necklace serves as a reminder of that goal.
I have a ways to go before I reach true superhero status as a mom, but I'm trying, and that is what counts. To steal a slogan from the army, being a mother is "the toughest job you'll ever love" and each day presents new challenges and new opportunities for growth. I'm so incredibly grateful for my chance to be Riley's mom and for all the blessings that have come with that honor. I'm even grateful for the tough times and struggles that have happened since Riley's arrival, because I am stronger and smarter because of them, and the strength and intelligence I've gained add more to my superhero power. I'm happier and more at peace with myself and my life, as well, and that adds double superhero power.
Finally, I'm very grateful for all the mom's that I have to look to for examples of how to reach superhero status. I am sure I would miss someone if I tried to name names, but I want to give props to all the women who are really amazing women and really great moms and fabulous examples to me. You have made my first eight months on this road a little easier just by being there and being you.
Happy Mother's Day!
No comments:
Post a Comment