I recently returned from the last in a series of leadership retreats I was selected to attend for work. Although the lectures and workshops were specifically geared to increasing leadership potential for those in Public Health, I have found that the various topics addressed (negotiation, communication, management, problem solving, etc.) have been very helpful in many aspects in my life. These retreats were thought provoking and very reflective, and were held in beautiful surroundings (Daniels Summit, Lake Tahoe and Zion's Nat'l Park) with amazing, diverse, dedicated people. I am truly grateful I was selected to go. I know the experience has helped me grow into a better leader, supervisor, parent and friend.
The last day of presentation was dedicated to the idea of cultivating creativity. This is especially relevent to me, as I am trying to do that on a daily basis in my life personally. The whole day was about thinking outside the box, asking the big questions, living your passion, releasing judgement, not being afraid of making mistakes, embracing change, changing perspectives until you find the right vision, being prepared when the big opportunities appear. I found it a very inspiring way to end the retreat, and then I had a 5 hour drive home to really play with the ideas in my mind. What am I doing that is habit and not passion? Am I spending my time where I want to, or am I trapped in patterns of thought and action that are not necessarily serving me? Am I taking risks, even though i might not succeed (this is a big challenge for me)? What questions am I not asking because I might be afraid of the answers? Am I surrounding myself with people who push me to work harder, do more, be more? Am I settling?
A lot going through my mind, as you can see....
I'm still mulling it over. I have made a conscious effort since Riley came into my life to do the things that scare me, to tell the truth no matter what, to expose her to different ideas and thoughts, and not to judge others who might choose a different path than I might. There are times I feel like a completely different person than I was two years ago, and I LIKE THAT! I like that i've pushed myself, that I've tried new things, that I've made new friends, that I've gone outside of my comfort zone a lot. I want Riley to have that kind of role model in her mom. I want her to know it's ok to make mistakes, it's fine to let people choose their own way, and that when we fall down, we get right back up and try again.
So, how do we do this? How do we make sure we are living life to the fullest? How do we keep on putting ourselves out there, again and again, at the risk of falling flat on our face? And how do we teach our little ones to do this too, when we so badly want to protect them from getting hurt?
The words that kept repeating in my head yesterday as I pondered this was "Go Big or Go Home!" These words apply to so many things I'm working on....writing, art, parenting, biking, running, swimming. They are so relevant to how I am trying to live my life now.
So I guess that's my new mantra for a while...I'm going to Go Big! Because i sure as hell ain't ready to go home.
2 comments:
Don't you just love long drives along just thinking? That's the one upside about my class being in Missoula. 2.5 hours to prepare on the way there, 2.5 hours on the way home to digest. Love reading about your journey!
this is fantastic! i'm totally right there. i just read this mini-book called "the dip" that talks about this very thing. there are plenty of people who throw themselves into something but as soon as we hit a dip, it gets difficult, we quit; most often right before we could have advanced. and then there's the other type, the cul-de-sac, things we're doing that are taking our time and energy but are getting us nowhere. we need to learn to quit (and quickly!) the things that are holding us back, whilst learning to push through the dips and become the greatest in our field.
soooooo, totally on the same page.
xoxo
Post a Comment