On the long drive back to my home, I let my mind play over all that these men bring into my life. We are very tight in age, there are seven of us born in eight years, so we grew up together. They were my first friends and my first enemies. We used to conspire and strategically plan pinecone fights with the neighbor kids and go for swimming adventures in creeks and small ponds around our home. They taught me how to climb over fences and shoot guns (although I swear, we never shot them at Dr. Wolf's horses), and later taught me how to properly egg a car and how to sneak out of my window.
Now that I'm an adult, my brothers are my touchstones. They are, in my opinion, what real men should be. They work hard, they play hard, they take care of their families and they adore their wives. They are amazing fathers and they take that role very seriously. They love their nieces and nephews and my little girl benefits from their special brand of teasing and love whenever we see them. They all have their priorities in order and they live their lives to reflect what is important to them. They are living proof that men can be both strong and sensitive, have a strong work ethic and still be goofy and fun-loving, hold to their values but be open-minded about others' choices, they are encouraging and strong. Real men. That's what they have all turned out to be.
Keith, Nic, and Kale...Sept. 2009Kale is my older brother, which is a job he takes very seriously. Kale is the best kind of older brother. He doesn't say much unless he's asked, but he's full of good advice, sensitive sympathy, and quiet encouragement. He's an amazing Dad to a 12 year old girl, and is in the process of adopting a little guy, Cooper, who is 18 months old. Cooper adores Kale, idolizes him, and follows his every move. Sundays find both of them decked out on in their Denver Bronco's gear, watching football. Hunting season finds the whole family up on a mountain somewhere. Kale is truly a family man and he works hard to include his whole family (wife and daughters included) in what he loves.
When I was little, a teacher asked me who I would give up in my family. The point she was trying to make was that there was no-one i could part with, if given the choice. I immediately volunteered to give up Nate. She countered with "no, you'd miss him too much. I don't think you could give him up." I was pretty certain I could. Now I'm absolutely certain I could not. Nate is the type of guy you want to have around forever. He's fun loving and goofy, and has an ability to make you laugh, even when you want to cry. He's a natural athlete with a daredevil streak and has the broken bones to prove it (He's currently nursing a broken collarbone). He's very sharp and well read, and works hard at his IT job. Like a true cowboy, he trains and breaks horses on the side. He served in the Marine Corp and that training seemed to equip him nerves of steel and an energy that is channeled and focused. He is a patient and protective father to a wild little girl, and he nurtures her creativity while helping calm her chaotic spirit. He makes any child within his vicinity shriek with delight when he chases and tickles them, but has calmly and methodically helped me through some of the toughest situations I've had to deal with. No, there is no way I could give up Nate.
Keith is the middle child in our family and someone I count as a close friend, as well as my brother. I've spent a lot of time in Keith's home since I had Riley (most of my maternity leave was spent there) and I always look forward to the happy, easy vibe I find there. Riley ADORES her uncle "teef" and in fact, he was the first one to make her smile and the first one to make her laugh. She often asks for him when she is scared or when she's in trouble. He has two gorgeous little girls, and another little bambino on the way. Keith's first priority, without any question whatsoever, is the happiness and safety of his family. He works hard to provide a good life for them, often working in nasty weather conditions and during the middle of the night, and I've never, not once, heard him complain. In addition, he's a talented craftsman, often taking his wife's descriptions of furniture she'd like to have, and turning them into true pieces of art. He's one of the most serious people I know, but with this crazy, goofy, nutty personality who can make his wife howl with laughter and somehow convince me to shoot water up my nose while he films it. Keith is one of a kind.
Keith Christmas tree hunting, Nov. 30, 2009Nic is probably the most free-spirited of my brothers, although he's mellowed out some as a wife and child came along. Nic is just cool...just easy to be around....just chill. Although I know it's happened (we all have the Wuthrich temper and the Wuthrich stubborness) I've never seen the adult Nic angry or aggressive. He's just....cool. Nic is a nature lover and an animal whisperer. When he was a child, he was the one to find the stray cat or the injured bird to bring home and nurture back to health. He still loves his dogs and although they don't beat out Ambrie, his little girl, for first place in his heart, they might be a close second (Well, after his wife, of course). Nic is charming and easy-going and makes people feel at ease around him. There is never any judgement, never any drama. He's just...cool.
And finally, there is Curt, my baby brother. Curt lives in Alaska and, as mentioned earlier, he rarely makes it down to the lower 48 to visit. He loves Alaska and the life seems to suit him perfectly. He is employed by a ski resort, and handles their facility maintenance, but otherwise, he plays. He snowboards. He mountain bikes. He trains his dogs to pull his dogsled. He plays. Which is exactly what a 26 year old single guy should be doing, in my opinion. Curt is a fantastic uncle, and had Riley wrapped around his finger pretty quickly. He was always a tease growing up, torturing Becky endlessly, but he's grown into a funny, slightly sarcastic, but very lovable guy.
Curt Dec. 19, 2009So, with men like these in my life, is it any wonder I'm a little bit picky? Any wonder that I am looking for the best there is to be had? Because honestly, my brothers are fantastic men who give me and my daughter so much in terms of time, help, attention and advice. They are collectively my measure of a man, and they set the bar high. I'm very lucky to have such amazing, wonderful, generous, funny, happy men in my life and I'm grateful for them every. single. day.
7 comments:
tears...we are both lucky is this department.
your brothers are HAWT lol and I don't think I knew you had so many, mostly because of them being younger
this kinda reminds me of something Mike's mom once said when she was going on and on about how great of a dad Mike was because he works hard to take care of us and how his priorities were in the right place. maybe it was just me taking him for granted, but I felt like telling her - isn't that the way he is supposed to be? i thought he was just doing the job he signed up for.
then again, all I have to do is spend some time around my "party" friends here to realize that there are a lot of men that don't do that BUT the women have also settled for a lot, too, due to their own messed up priorities. your brothers must have some great women standing behind them. your parents must be awesome, too :)
mmmmm...love love love. I couldn't have said it better (what's new, you're the writer!). I miss them so much and love them even more. Thanks for a great post. (tears over here, too!)
lucky men to have such an amazing sister! they sound extraordinary and i don't blame you for looking for the same for you and Riley. clearly there are great ones out there! merry christmas to you and your whole family! xoxo
What great tributes to a fine bunch of guys, my boys....love all my family.
And I'm so glad one of them is all mine!!! :) I couldn't have asked for anything better. I am really blessed!
tears as well. this is making me SO homesick for my two brothers (whom i could have easily traded in multiple times over growing up). what a wonderful tribute to yours. merry christmas!
xo
Post a Comment