I saved that text, and I refer back to it once in a while to check in with myself- am I spending my time and energy to accomplish those things?
My one New Year's Resolution I make each year is one I will make every year - to hold more babies. Why? Because there is nothing quite as joyful as snuggling up with a baby. It is peace and love and joy in a tiny, perfect person. And thankfully, my siblings and friends have had the good sense to provide me with several new babies, so I never have to go long without working on my resolution.
![]() |
| Me and Sylvie- June 12, 2013 |
![]() |
| Views from the plane - Alaska is breathtaking from everywhere. |
Falling in love - meh. Still working on that. Actually, that's not even true- I'm not working at all on that. But I am working on caring enough about it to actually work on it. So that's something. (Let it be said that I am rather lazy about this part of my life- I'd much rather spend my energy on other things than worry about my love life. When it's supposed to happen, it will happen. That's how it's always gone for me, and I'm trusting that it will continue to go that way.)
Making some changes professionally is something that I put some serious some effort into. I have worked for my current department for more than 10 years, and I started to realize that, for a lot of reasons, it was time for a change. I began paying attention to job openings at the University, and almost immediately, a perfect-for-me position showed up in a department I have already worked with extensively, with people I already know and respect. I submitted my CV, interviewed a couple of days later, and was offered the position. The whole process was rather seamless - it just flowed. I start that new job this coming Monday.
It's bittersweet, leaving a place I've worked for so long. This is where I learned to really enjoy the process of scientific research. This is where I turned book knowledge into real-life, hands on experience. This is where I have met so many amazing people, many I now count as dear friends. This is the home of colleagues that supported me through a lot of ups and downs. This is a place where I have always felt at home, and knew I was good at what I was doing, even when everything else in my world seemed shaky and insecure. It was a hard decision to move on, but ultimately, it is a move I need to make. I'm excited to take on some new challenges, and for the opportunity for personal and professional growth my new job will bring. If you are interested, my new job is the senior research manager at UPIQ.
So there you have it - a mid-year check in on where I am with my goals for 2013. Overall, I'd say things are moving along just swimmingly.
So far, 2013 has not just met and surpassed my expectations.
So far, it's been a kick-ass year!


No comments:
Post a Comment