September 4, 2007 will always be a memorable date for me. In some ways, it seems like enough time has past that the details shouldn’t be important anymore, but I’m a writer. The details are, as they say, what make the story. The details bring the reader into the center of the action. The details are what matter. So I recount the details, as I have done in my head one hundred plus times, reliving yet another step I have taken in this journey to grow into myself.
They say that it’s always darkest before the light breaks, and the next twelve hours were the darkest in my life, both literally and figuratively. The power never did reappear, making for a night lit by candles and flashlights. I tried to get Riley to nurse by candlelight, hoping and praying we could figure it out together and feeling my new mother’s heart crack open a little more when, once again, she stopped trying to latch and started screaming instead. I felt so weak and so unprepared, and I couldn’t call anyone for help. My cell phone battery was almost dead and there was no power to recharge it. My baby was hungry and I had no formula for backup. I stumbled through my condo all night, trying to find the diapers and her clothes by flashlight, trying to care for and comfort my daughter into sleep, trying to keep myself together. My dogs were scared by the thunder and lightening, racing around and barking, several times startling my daughter out of her much-needed sleep. I spent the entire night shaking from pain, unable to take my painkillers because they made me groggy and I needed to be alert to care for my newborn. I was only four days post major surgery, with a new baby and a whole wad of screwy hormones and some major life decisions to act on. I was scared and exhausted and I felt completely and utterly alone. This was the lowest I had ever felt; physically, emotionally and psychologically. I had hit my rock bottom.
Time has a way of healing all things, and the memories of this night are no exception. Now, with an objective eye, I can look at that girl, with her new baby and her bad marriage, and recognize that she was in a terrible situation with limited options. She was reeling from the physical stress of major surgery, the emotional shock of new motherhood and the grief that settled in as she let her dreams of a stable marriage and a ‘traditional family’ go. I can feel bad for all that she had to deal with at a time that is already life changing in the best of circumstances. I can recognize that she never deserved the hand she was dealt, that many of the problems were of someone else’s making and that she was reacting to them while in survival mode. I can forgive her for making some stupid mistakes. I can forgive others in the story that also made mistakes. I can be proud of her for picking herself up, dusting herself off, and getting back on her feet. I can applaud her for creating a life for herself and her daughter that is full of happiness and laughter and family and friends.
After two years, I can even be grateful for this experience, because it allows me to see how amazingly good things are now by contrasting how horribly bad they were then. It pushes me to live authentically and love wholeheartedly. It makes me realize how far I’ve come in two years. It reminds me of how strong I am. September 4 will always serve as a reminder of these things.
Because it’s a date that will always live in my mind, I have decided to turn it into a personal celebration of sorts. Last year, I spent the day at the spa, treating myself to a whole host of massages and body wraps and herbal baths. Last year was about reminding myself that I deserved to be treated well.
This year, I celebrated in a whole different way entirely, completing a kick-ass run/swim workout that pushed me to the bleeding edge, again and again and again. There is no way I could have made it through this workout a year ago, or even a couple of months ago. It was tough, but while I pushed through, I let my mind run over the past two years….the pain, the laughter, the heartache, the joy. Tears threatened, laughter escaped, and the memories fueled me on and made me push a little harder, knowing that I had more in me. I felt amazing and it was concrete evidence that I AM whole and healthy and strong; physically, emotionally and mentally. So much has changed over the past two years, but from that day on, it's only gotten better and better.
It’s funny how things turn out.
13 comments:
liquid love is pouring down my face as i read this. so glad you put it all in words... so beautifully.
you are whole.
Love it!!!! I keep asking myself "where the hell was I while all this was going on?"
ditto to both of those previous comments!!! Love you, frist.
I am proud of you! Some people cant learn from their past.....All you really have in this world is what you MAKE......you dont get to call all the shots......hardship affects people differently ....Im glad you made it!!!!
Wow. Amy this is incredibly powerful writing and even though my story is totally different, there is so much I can relate to. It's a very powerful thing to realize that we have it inside ourselves to make the life we want. I am proud of you for doing just that, for you and for Riley. Can't wait to give you a big hug and tell you that in person next week! xo
the other Amy
*wrapping you in warm hugs. your daughter has one rockstar mama. so moving and emotional and beautiful.
xo
Wow Amy! Beautifully written, you are an amazing woman!
i feel really honored to read this brave truth that is your story.
you are a rock star dear girl.
rock. star.
(and can't wait to tell you that in person in about nine days!)
I had already heard this story from you, but the version over the phone didn't even compare to this. I can't imagine having gone through that alone. You are an AMAZINGLY strong woman.
As you like to say, go big or go home and Riley seems to have come into this world with that attitude, too. You're lowest points in life just make the high points that much sweeter, especially when you learn not to wallow in the mire and you glean every piece of goodness from those trying moments. I'd say you know how to do that well :)
And that is why I am glad I made your dad come and get you and bring you to our house! So glad :)
how incredible for you to share your story in such a beautiful way. You are so strong and brave. I wish I was going to squam this year so that I could give you a big hug. xoxoxo! You rock!
All I can say is WOW. Amy, you are such an amazing person, so incredibly inspirational. Your writing is phenominal too. You are able to capture every moment and help the reader feel as though they were right there with you...a true gift! I eagerly await your book!
Just reading this now...You are STRONG! It's a special day for me now too, so I'm up for celebrating with you in future years...maybe some moo moos and wine coolers?
Post a Comment