Tuesday, September 29, 2009

New To Me

Sunday evening, I attended a going away party for a dear friend who moved to Hawaii yesterday. I joined in the circle of friends who had gathered, enjoying the lovely September night, the shouts of glee from our children as they raced around the yard, and the company of some of my favorite people. I watched my daughter join a group of children to play, jump, shout, sing, and generally make merry and I was startled by this fact: Just a short year ago, we didn't know any of these people.

The beautiful woman who is jumping feet-first into a dream of hers, who is intuitive and understanding, who has, so many times, healed my body and soothed my spirit...she's new to me. We've only known each other for a few months, yet I feel as if our heart and minds have always been friends. Her sister, who's lovely voice and charming hospitality welcomed us into her home...she's new to me. We've only known each other for a few weeks but I feel an easy connection with her and her adorable children. The gorgeous, artistic, eccentric woman who has, in just a year's time, become as close as a sister to me, who listens and hears me, who throws back her head in laughter at the antics of the wild children...she's new, too. Her husband, who speaks warmly to those around him, who is at ease in his own skin, who reminds my child to respect her mother (I'm always appreciative of adults who do this), who is one of the nicest men I know...he's new to me. Their children, who crawl on my lap, over my shoulders and onto my back, who can't remember my name but love me anyway, who envelop my girl in their special brand of sibling companionship...they are new to me. The warrior goddess with the honest answers and the creative spirit, who has taught me about being true to my gifts, about being a present parent, who understands the need to pound out life's frustrations on the pavement...she's new to me.

I occasionally joke that in the divorce, I got custody of the child and my ex got custody of our friends and to some extent, this feels true.
Although I am still in touch with some of my friends from my married days, and of course there are my wonderful soul-sisters I’ve known all my life, most of those I am close to these days are new to me.

A very wise woman once told me that when one area of life gets uncomfortable and scratchy, you are compensated by a gift in another area. I truly believe that these people who have shown up in my life (and please note that there are so many who I have not yet wrote about specifically here)…these people who believe in me, who stand by me, who comfort me and who love me… these people are some of my greatest gifts. And having a strong circle of friends, both in my backyard and scattered across the world…having people who love me, who support me, who hear me and give me a safe place to land…well, that’s new to me.

6 comments:

me said...

what a wonderful post....:) Im glad that you are landing on your feet given how difficult a start the two of you girls had going in..... Im proud of you! Run with it and enjoy!!!! Giving up the friends is not the best fun but...... in hindsight I have found it was their loss...not mine ..kudos darlin.....

jenica said...

totally made me cry.
beautiful!

Anonymous said...

You are amazing...this has me crying of course. Sure do love you!

Erin said...

I love that you are surrounded my amazing and loving friends. You totally deserve it.

lindsey said...

you totally came out the winner in all of this. so so beautiful.

xo

Unknown said...

Inspiring and loving! our new experience is just a manifestation that our souls are old and familiar...I feel it each time I'm in your light presence! LOVE LOVE LOVE!!! Love is all there is!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...