Monday, September 19, 2011

A little bit of Riley

First "self-administered" haircut
The night before Riley's 4th birthday, she took the scissors to her hair and cut a couple of large chunks out of the left side.  A friend was visiting at the time, and since it didn't look too bad, I didn't worry too much about it until I was getting her ready for bed.  Then I found more locks of hair on the bathroom hair and realized it was a bit worse than I thought.  Frustrated, I asked her what made her decide to cut her own hair.

Her reply:  "Because I'm only a Three Year Old for today.  I'll be Four tomorrow."


Confused, I asked what that fact had to do with it.

Her reply (looking at me as if I was the most clueless parent alive):  "Because a Four Year Old would know better."

Oh.  Kay.
 
Riley and her first 'boyfriend' Jeremy




Riley and I were at our favorite thrift store, just wandering around when she found a box of styrofoam heads.  She decided that they would make the perfect boyfriend, and so she named this one "Jeremy".  She played with "him" until it was time to leave, making him coffee and also arms.

It was truly love at first site.

Imagine her dismay when she found out I was not, in fact, going to bring "Jeremy" home with us.  She cried.  She lamented. But alas, her first love was made to stay in the store.

On our way to the car, she wailed mournfully "Jeremy, I"ll never forget you."

In an attempt to console her about her lost love, I explained that Jeremy needed to stay and work at the store.

She stopped in her tracks, threw me the saddest look ever, and wailed even louder "But he doesn't even have legs!"

I guess that was the wrong thing to say.

2 comments:

melissa said...

priceless!!

Elizabeth MacCrellish said...

how much do I love knowing she will be here in Provy to dazzle me with her wise observations!!!

xoxo, E

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...