Friday, September 30, 2011

An unlikely dream

I have had the same recurring dream for the past few years.  In this dream, I am walking through these huge, weedy fields.  Usually I'm alone, sometimes I'm with people I love, but I'm always wandering through these vast expanses of land.  It sounds like it could be the setting of a very lonely place, but whenever I have this dream, whenever I see myself in these fields, I'm not at all lonely.  Rather I'm filled with a comfort that, for me, only comes with being outside in nature, and a calm that comes only from solitude.  I wake up yearning to find this type of life for myself.
 
I love these types of places, the open air and the open land.  There is something very soothing about the idea that I could walk for hours and not see another person.  Lately, I have been so drawn to the idea of rural living, of the hard work and the satisfaction that would come from this type of lifestyle. I want to greet the day by baking bread and hang my laundry out to dry. When I say this out loud, even to myself, I recognize that I'm probably only so enamored by this lifestyle because it's so different from how I live now, but still...the desire is very real and very deep.  Perhaps this type of yearning is from my Idaho roots, or perhaps it's just my mind's pushback to a busy, sometimes hectic, always people-filled lifestyle.  I know that the dream is one way my subconscious shows me that I need to find more time for me and more s-p-a-c-e.  Whatever it is about, it doesn't seem to be going anywhere.

Maybe it's time to explore this type of life a little bit more, to try to understand what it is that is pulling me towards it.  Maybe I need more air and more space and more wandering.  Maybe I need to be surrounded by those things that comfort me: nature, land, water, and my family.  Maybe it's time to go home for the weekend and sink into it, to get my fill of the county, see if that will last me for a while while I figure it out.  Who knows what the future holds. Unlikely dreams come true, too.
 



2 comments:

Shelley said...

Wow! This echos what I've been feeling lately. It will be interesting to see what the future holds and how I get there.

Amy said...

Unlikely dreams come true too. Yes. They do.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...