Sunday, September 16, 2012

She's a big kid now.


Riley started kindergarten right after labor day, which brought a lot of changes- new school, new friends, new teachers, new schedule.  It's fun to see how much she has blossomed in this new environment - they hit the books running.  She's already learned a bunch of sight words and loves to flip through whatever I'm reading and look for words she knows:  the, at, are, one, two, three, four.  She was already getting the basic idea of reading, but to learn real words in real books - it's pretty exciting for her. 

First morning- she was so excited, she would NOT stand still and let me get a good shot.  So, instead, we have this goofy one.  Which is just about perfect, after all. 
The school she is at has a dance company that comes into the school and teaches lessons, so we signed her up for ballet and tap.  So far, so good.  She loves it, looks forward to it and can't wait to show me her 'moves' afterwards.  I appreciate that she gets to participate in extracurriculars, without me having to figure out how to get her to and from them.  It's been really pretty great, so far.  And I say that very reluctantly, because her tap shoes should arrive early this week.  Heaven help us. 

Even though she loves Kindergarten, she's had a few teary-eyed episodes of missing her former teachers at her old school.  I understand- I miss them too!  They were such a big part of our everyday and so important to both of our well-being.  It bittersweet- watching her grow up, and knowing that one of the lessons she has to learn is how to move on.


First day of school - after school at pick-up.
So, yep...we're a family with a school aged child now.  Homework, school lunches, permission slips and backpacks - they are all part of our daily routine,  a routine we are beginning to relax into. 

I'm continually amazed me that we've been on this journey together for five years already - that my Girl is a Kindergartner!   Time really does fly.

And oh, how I love this girl.


No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...