A couple of weeks ago, Riley and I were lucky enough to be able to travel to New Jersey and visit some friends over Spring Break. We stayed for the first few days with our dear friends,
Amy and
Maya, and Amy's super adorable boys, Evan (14) and Charlie (12).
Amy and I met our first year at Squam Art Workshop. I instantly loved her brassy attitude and penchant for fun, and I was excited to stay in touch with her. We have become closer with each passing year, usually seeing each other in the fall for Squam or Squam by the Sea. She's been a constant cheerleader for me in so many ways, and has provided a listening ear and wise words through some difficult phases. A few years ago, I met Maya while she was in SLC for her
Tour de Word project, during which time she taught a poetry workshop in my home and stayed a night with us. We didn't get to spend a lot of time with her then, but I really liked her and was so enchanted with her energy and presence.
So Maya had met Riley briefly, but Riley and Amy had yet to meet. I knew that the combination of people and personalities was going to be, well...really good.
And oh, it was!
 |
| Amy and Riley - outside of the museum of natural history |
 |
| painting rocks |
The time we spent with Amy and Maya was just what we needed- low-key, creative, and simply full of "feel-goodness." There were trips to the Butterfly Exhibit at the Museum of Natural History, relaxing hikes in the New Jersey woods, and even a 6th grade talent show, featuring Charlie and his amazing dancing skills (seriously - this kid has the moves!) Plus there was a lot of hanging out on the most. comfortable. couch. in. the. entire. world. Lots of typing on the typewriter, some rock painting, lazy mornings and a few superhero capes thrown in for good measures.
 |
| butterfly exhibit at the Museum of Natural History |
 |
| Riley loved this subway mosaic butterfly |
Besides the Museum of Natural History and Central Park, we made a special trip to the Plaza Hotel, where Eloise lives. Amy sent Riley an Eloise book a few years ago and this started an obsession with all things Pink, Plaza and Eloise. So getting to be there with Amy was a highlight of Riley's trip. I will also say that Amy taught Riley to say "But I want an Oompa Loompa NOW!" in an annoying, whiny voice, which Riley thinks is hysterically funny. And I will be paying Amy back soundly for that one day - one day soon...
 |
| Plaza door handles |
 |
| Amy and Riley and Eloise |
 |
| Riley at the Plaza | | | |
|
|
|
We had planned to go into the city one more time with them and experience
"Write on the Line," but thanks to a little girl who didn't feel so well, that plan had to be altered. I was disappointed, but I guess that just means I need to head back to see them again soon!
Riley said her favorite part of our time in Nutley, NJ was seeing Eloise's hotel, riding the subway and playing tricks on Charlie (we short sheeted his bed. She thought this was the best thing ever.) My favorite part was spending time with these amazing women who I am so incredibly grateful to count as friends.
After returning home, Riley gave a "show and tell" about our trip for her class, during which she referred to Amy as her "Karmic Godmother." I was thrilled to hear Riley pick up on that phrase, which is what I have called Amy for a while. And I was even more delighted when she described Maya as her "Soul Sista." I don't know where she got that, but it works. I can't imagine women I'd rather have be identified as my daughter's "Karmic Godmother" and "Soul Sista" than Amy and Maya.
Thanks, Amy and Maya (and Evan and Charlie) for letting us spend time in your world for a few days! We loved everything about it!
 |
| Riley and Maya - strong case of hero worship happening here. |
2 comments:
ohhhh LOVE LOVE LOVE this so much every bit-- most especially Riley on the red carpet steps-- wow. so good.
I couldn't be prouder of my title. I LOVE being her karmic godmother and you were 100% right when you said we were going to be besties in an instant. I love that kid as much as my own (maybe even a little bit more because she doesn't live with me.) Her sass, spunk, sparkle and that inquisitive lively personality make her a quadruple threat! Oh the places she'll go. Getting to spend quality time with you two was as necessary as air and water. Thank you for sharing your time with us. Our door is ALWAYS open and we can't wait until you come back. Love you, BIG. xo xo DadDY I want an oompa loompa NOW. Right this instant.
Post a Comment