Monday, March 3, 2008

I'm bringing SEXY back!

No, this isn't a post dedicated to Justin Timberlake, although you might see that in the near future (kidding).

Instead, it's inspired by a piece I've been working on for my writer's forum.

I am working on a piece that involves writing about the time in my life when I felt the sexiest. This has made me think a lot about how I define sexy and what it really means to me. Since sex isn't really on my list of priorities right now, it might seem to some that feeling sexy isn't on my priorities list right now. This is absolutely not the case. To me, sexy is a state of mind, a way of exuding confidence, a method to remind yourself how amazing you are. Sexy and sex are not one and the same, nor should they be approached as if they are.

In our culture, sexy is often defined by what the skinniest, blondest heiress is wearing or how she is behaving. How sad is this? I don't want my daughter growing up in a world where drunken stupidity or a trashy appearance is the pre-requisite for being considered sexy. There is so much MORE, usually things that aren't even seen, that make a person sexy. The only way to counteract the media led personification of sexy is to start pointing out what is sexy about us, the non-bimbo, non-trashy, non-superficial women. Start CELEBRATING what makes us all sexy in our own individual ways.

So, I'm starting with me, and I want every blogger who reads this to post on his or her blog five things about them that make them SEXY! Those things that are unique to them! Come on, let's CELEBRATE those things that are SEXY about each of us. So Becky, Jamie, Jade, Katie...every person who reads this needs to post on their blogs their five things. Then, leave a comment on mine so I know you did it and so I can see what you wrote.

Come on, Girls (and guys) , let's BRING SEXY BACK!

Here is my list of 5 things about me I think are SEXY...

1. I am smart. I think my intelligence is the sexiest thing about me. And truthfully, I've heard this from other people very recently. I don't need anyone else's validation on this, but it's nice to know that there are other people out there that think smart girls are hot.

2. I have a really wacky, wry sense of humor. it's not typical, it's really pretty weird, but I think it's sexy that I can almost always find something to laugh about and usually something to crack jokes about. A sense of humor is very, very sexy.

3. I am a curvy girl and I LOVE it. I'm not a size two or a size four or a six. I have boobs and hips and a butt. I LOVE my hourglass shape and although I have to work to keep in shape, I wouldn't trade how I look if it meant giving up my curves.

4. Perhaps the coolest thing my body has ever done is grow a kid. I look at Riley and think to myself "She's mine. I did that. I grew her." and I'm amazed and in awe and so incredibly thrilled to have produced her. I read somewhere that having a child is like watching your heart walk around outside of you. This is a perfect description of how I feel about Riley. And the fact that I did that, I nourished her, I grew this perfect little girl and now I'm raising her to grow up and be a strong, confident, SEXY woman...when I think about that, and all the miracles that come with motherhood, I feel sexy.

5. Finally, I think my emotional strength is incredibly sexy. I've just been through a really rough patch in my life and when I step back and examine how much strength and faith and hope and courage it took to get where I am today, I feel strong and beautiful and courageous. I know i can handle anything. And that is very sexy.

So there you have it, folks. Five things I find sexy about myself. What about you? What do you think makes you SEXY?

1 comment:

beck said...

I love my sis! She's so...........sexy... mmmm hmmmmm...

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...