This new year has already tossed a few tough weeks at me. After the' buzz' of the holidays and the 'busy-ness' of getting back in the swing of things, I started to experience the 'blahs' of January. My writing wasn't going as well as I had hoped, there was some 'weirdness' in a couple of relationships I needed to deal with, and the nasty winter inversion that had settled upon my normally gorgeous mountain home was making me feel tired and, well, kind of icky (for lack of a better word).
I needed to do something about this state of affairs, and fast. So I decided to look for things that would help pull me out of this funk...actively look for, or perhaps more importantly, NOTICE the beauty and the creativity and the humor of the world around me. Basically, I began looking for inspiration.
And, boy, did I find it. Just some of the many things I'm feeling inspired by lately:
*May Sarton's Journals - so much truth and beauty and substance. I love the flow and rhythm of her words.
*Poetry, Poetry, Poetry - I have been getting lost in the lines of new loves (Pablo Neruda, Mary Oliver, Kay Ryan, Rumi) and old favorites (ee cummings, Keats, Byron, Dickinson, even Shel Silverstein).
*My sister's relationship with her husband - I tell them this all the time, but they truly make me believe there is a perfect match for everyone. They are both so different but they blend into something so much bigger and stronger than the two of them separately. It inspires me.
*The color blue- in all shades. I can't seem to get enough of it. I want to paint my entire house in different shades of it.
*New clothes - I really needed a wardrobe update and the new stuff I got just sings to me...pencil skirts, denim skirts, bright tops, thick belts. All of it is fun and feminine and a little bit sexy and I'm having so much fun with it!
*Vintage clothes- I've also spent a little time haunting my favorite vintage store and picked up a few "new to me" things to liven things up a little - black leather jacket that just works for me, brooches with colored stones, a funky bag that i can't wait to use. I am loving mixing the old and the new and playing with my personal style.
*Inauguration Celebrations - The Inauguration of President Obama was simply amazing. There was so much joy and hope evident in all the ceremonies and festivities. I believe he has an incredibly tough job and is the best thing for this country right now. Also, I really have enjoyed watching his wife. Our new first lady is elegant but approachable and seems intelligent and down to earth. I'm so excited for this chapter in our history. It's been a long time coming.
There's a lot more on this list, but needless to say, I found what i was looking for. I found truth and beauty and creativity and INSPIRATION.
For these things, I am grateful.
No comments:
Post a Comment