Riley and I were driving home from swimming lessons today, when the topic of wishes came up. I had told her that today was the first day of Summer, that it was called the Summer Solstice and that I had always heard that it was the best day of the year to make wishes. She asked me what I wished for, more than anything else.
I told her that I wished that she'd always know how loved she was, that she'd always be full of imagination and brightness and creativity, that her life would be one she would be excited about and proud to live. I wished that her determination and stubbornness would be great strengths for her, and allow her to get what she really wanted out of her life. I continued on, saying I wished that I'd be able to teach her by my example to be kind and generous to others, to be loving and open to everyone, and be strong and steadfast in her values and beliefs. I wished that she'd know how important honesty and integrity were, and understand that people and relationships are always more valuable than money or objects. I wished that she'd desire a good education, and someday that she'd have the opportunity to make her mark on this world in whatever way was right for her. Finally, I told her that I wished that I'd always be the best mother I could be for her and that while I wish and hope that our family will grow to include others, that we'll be a happy and loving family always, regardless.
I was blinking back tears when I finished my little diatribe on my wishes, a bit overcome with how strongly I felt about all of these wishes and overwhelmed with the love I felt for her and the gratitude I felt for our lives right in that moment.
I asked her what she wished for most of all, and her blue eyes met my brown eyes in the rear-view mirror. She looked a little baffled about my lengthy answer to what she clearly thought was a simple question.
"Um....I just wish for GummyBears...but yours is good too."
Well....ok then.
*Whether they are deep and complex, or simple and sweet, may all your Summer Solstice wishes come true*

3 comments:
i wish for swedish fish. but yours IS good too.
OMG I love this. Happy Belated Solstice to you and Riley!
xox
you made me weepy-- and the thing is, she WILL remember this-- it is in her DNA now--- she simply can't process it yet-- xooxxo, E
Post a Comment