Tuesday, May 7, 2013

No Spend Month - Week 1 in is the books

One week down in the 'No Spend Month' and so far, so good.  No "things" have been purchased.  Only food, gas and childcare- all of which are 'approved' expenses.

A few observations for my first no-spend week:

1.  I get A LOT of email and snail mail that is consumer driven.  I honestly didn't realize just how many emails I receive every single day that advertised the latest sale or special offers or whatnot and I am taking action to get rid of them.  I am taking the time to unsubscribed to all emails I would normally just delete and am compiling a list of the various catalogs that I get each day and calling the vendor to ask to be removed from their mailing lists.  I hope it pays off  with a lighter in-box and mailbox, which is great for my 'simple living' lifestyle and for the environment.

2.  I use online browsing/shopping as a distraction A LOT.  Paying attention to spending, along with my weekly intention to stay focused on the task at hand, has helped me realize how often I surf when I am feeling overwhelmed or tired or just plain bored.  It's a bad habit, one that can result in rather random impulse spending and considerable time wasted,  and it's one I'm happy to be working towards breaking.  Now, if I can just break that nasty Pinterest habit...

3.  My cooking repertoire needs some serious help.  I am prepared when it comes to yummy "having-guests-over-for-dinner" meals, and I'm great with desserts and treats, but I struggle with simple, quick, kid friendly meals that I can make on a normal, busy day.   I often resort to eating out when I'm feeling tight on time or too tired to cook a big meal, and that is something I really want to change.

So yeah...one week down, a few more to go in the No Spend Month.   It hasn't felt like much of a challenge yet, but I expect that feeling may creep up on me in the weeks ahead.  I guess we'll see how it goes.




1 comment:

Amy said...

Inspired!!! I think we're gonna jump on board and "play" with you!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...