Looking back
A friend of mine sent me an email last night. I have not spoken to her for a while, but she keeps in touch with my life through this blog. She is a counselor for young single mothers who are trying to put their lives back on track and get through school. I truly admire what she does and how much of her heart she puts into her work. I am positive that the goodness she puts out into the Universe will be brought back to her a thousand times over.
She is putting together a "book of life answers" for her work and she asked me to contribute answers to a couple of questions for this book. The sheer act of being asked these questions and trying to articulate the answers has made me really examine a lot of things that are going through my head and heart lately. I woke up several times last night, and each time, my thoughts went back to these questions and how to formulate the answers.
After a lot of thinking, I think I have it. Here are the answers I am sending to her.
Question #1: What is the most important life lesson you have learned over the past year?
My answer: When life brings you to your knees, you have the chance to grow into something more beautiful, more amazing and more authentic, or you can let yourself shrivel into someone bitter and cold. YOU make the choice.
Questions #2: What is the most important thing you have learned about yourself over the last year?
My answer: I can absolutely, positively, without a doubt trust myself 100% of the time. When I listen to what my heart and my soul and my gut are telling me, I find the right path, make the right connections, and do the right things. It's when I don't listen to myself that I find myself hurt, scared and seemingly alone.
So now I'm curious. How would you answer these questions? If you are so inclined, leave your answers in the comment section.
2 comments:
I like your blog and pictures a lot. They are close and elegant. Thank you. You ask difficult questions though. I think I am older than you are and know less.
Ok
It'll be all for now.
Cheers
JLo
Oooh. Tough questions. I think I'd answer #1 similarly to you: the old cliche is true--when life gives you lemons, make lemonade. I think it's easy to give up when things are difficult or don't go the way we'd planned, but we can take something bitter and hard to swallow and change it. Be brave and face a challenge head on, be authentic, be honest and life is sweet.
#2 I'm stronger than I ever thought I was. I can endure more than I believed I could and move forward. I have the power to make my life what I want it to be. No one else does, I DO.
Post a Comment