Friday, January 28, 2011

What's going on around here

A quick update on what's been going on around here:

Riley

After a week of being super-sick, Riley is almost back on top of her game. She's been much better this week, but she's still not operating at 100%. She continues to be more tired than normal and is a wee bit irritable, which is not the norm for my sunny, happy little one. I'm confident she's on the mend, however, and will be back to herself very soon.

Me
After being out of work most of last week with a sick girl, this week has been all about digging out, getting back on top of things at work and at home. It always amazes me how everything just seems to drop when you have a sick little one. I've been really focused and productive at work this week, and I think I'm pretty much caught up there, which is good because there are some really busy weeks ahead and I hate going into a busy time already behind. I'm digging my way out at home, as well, and I am grateful that Riley is with her dad this weekend so I have some time and space to really get things done. With any luck, I'll have some time left to do some cross country skiing, too.

Op: UK
My work on the kitchen was way-laid for a while by the sickies, but it's back on. This week, I took the first big step and had a wall cut out. Where you once saw this:
You now see this (ignore the construction chaos):
If you are looking into my kitchen from the dining area, you see this:
It's so much more open than it was before. I can stand at my stove and see the whole living and dining room. It's fantastic! I've also removed cabinet doors and sanded down the frames on one side. I started painting the cabinet frames and the walls behind the refrigerator and the stove tonight. It's coming. Slowly, slowly, but it's coming along. I still can't decide on countertops, though. I keep going between the less expensive IKEA butcher block (which I like and looks nice) and just springing for solid surface (which I really like but is significantly more expensive). Any opinions out there?

The unexpected benefit to working on my kitchen is the chance to thoroughly and completely deep clean it. I pulled my fridge out to clean and paint behind it, which I haven't done in, oh... you know....ever (don't judge me) and it was horrifying and strangely satisfying. I'm currently degreasing and de-gunkifying my oven hood (the filters are soaking while I post this). And I solemnly swear that I'll buy oven cleaner tomorrow so it doesn't feel left out. It's sorta like I'm spring cleaning early, but in all reality I never spring clean because by the time spring comes, I just want to ride my bike. But I digress...

That's what's happening over here this week. It's been a full, busy, somewhat overwhelming week and I'm glad to have it over and to have my weekend stretching out before me. I hope your's is fabulous.

6 comments:

Shelley said...

Woohoo! I love how open the kitchen is now with that wall gone.
I'd say, if you can put into the budget, go with the counter top you REALLY like.

Anonymous said...

Holy wow! I can't believe what a difference that made! Woohoo!

If you are planning on living there more than 2-3 more years, go with the counter you love. That being said, go with the one you can afford first and foremost- ha!

kelly barton art + design said...

oh wow! look at you go.
cant wait to see it finished.
my kitchen renovation with be
a new color. i would love to
get a new counter top too.
might have to put that bug
in bryce's ear.

about a fox said...

I am SO inspired by your renovation!! Since you asked-- my 2 cents is go for the butcher block that you like-- and put the extra $$ to other sweet luxuries you want to add in-- but whatever YOU choose to do will be perfect, of course!!

LOVE how the wall down lets in all that space and view. xo, E

Nat said...

love the kitchen, Amy. Cleaning is so "endorphine releasing" for me. Hmm, what to do with the counters... If you can afford the more expensive, do it. It will totally help you sell in the future--what goes in the kitchen is a big deal because it's not something most people are willing to fix. It already needs to be right when they buy it. Good luck. Those decisions are hard.

lindsey said...

sending you much love from my snowglobe part of the world! glad riley is on the mend. have you considered concrete countertops? i just love what you are doing!

xo

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...