Saturday, May 8, 2010

Gearing up....and a small setback


The lottery to ride LOTOJA was held on Tuesday, May 4th and at 1:38 in the morning on May 5, I received an email with this statement:

We hope you are excited to hear that your application HAS BEEN SELECTED. YOU HAVE A SPOT IN THIS YEAR'S LOTOJA!

Yay! Excitement! Jumping up and down (and a little bit of screaming) ensued! I've been excited to ride this for more than a year, and clearing the first hurdle was reason enough to be thrilled.

And then reality set in.

And I realized what I had done.

Oh, my hell!?! Did I really just commit to riding 206 miles, over three major mountain passes, in one day? What on EARTH was I thinking?!?

Several moments of panic occurred. A couple of breathing issues were noted. (I'm not proud of this, but hey, I'm human.)

And then I remembered how I feel when I ride, what reaching this goals means to me, that I can do whatever I set my mind to, and that I can totally, TOTALLY do this.

And now I'm back to good.

But the reality is that there is A LOT of training to do in order to be ready for September 11, and tonight I'm trying to figure out where and how I can work this kind of training into a life that's already stacked with people and commitments, goals and dreams. And how not to go crazy in the process.

To keep it all in one place, I'm going to be updating my progress on this blog so I have a running log of my progress, and to keep me honest and accountable. I imagine posts like the following will be fairly common on here (although I'll be messing with the format some), but I promise to keep up on the other stuff you all read for, as well. :)

TRAINING
Course: Goldilocks Ride
Planned: 60 miles
Completed: approx. 10 miles completed
Notes: Front derailleur broke on the course, forcing me to drop the ride. Fixed immediately following return to SLC. Felt good starting ride. Extremely irritated (to the point of being irrationally pissed off) after ending.
Gear notes: need toe warmers things. Bike is now back to perfect thanks to some love by my favorite bike mechanic.



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Note to self. Avoid Amy when she's Extremely Irritated. You'll get it next time. YOU CAN DO IT!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...