Thursday, July 15, 2010

25 things I know as a parent

A few weeks ago - probably one of the last time she'll fall asleep in my arms. So glad my camera was close.

This post was inspired by Jen Lemen's post at PBS Supersisters. Although I consider being Riley's mom my most important job, it's also the one that I find to be the most difficult. It was really empowering to write down the things i have learned in (almost) three short years.

1. The laundry and the dishes and the vacuuming will still be there when I am done playing with my girl. I won't be her first choice of a playmate forever.
2. My number one job is to teach my daughter how to think for herself and how to be compassionate and tolerant. If I can send her into the world with these tools, I have done my job.
3. I can talk until my face turns blue, and she may not hear a word I said. But she will follow my example. I have born witness to this time and time again.
4. Being present with my child is the most important gift I can give her.
5. Magic Eraser sponges clean off almost everything. Baby wipes are a close second.
6. Lipstick and perfume are important parts of any day - even when there is nothing special happening.
7. Routine and schedules are very good for her, and very good for me.
8. Having said that, it's ok to let go every so often and play, play, play.
9. Teaching her to "get up, shake it off" when she falls sure makes life easier.
10. Kids will treat others the way they see their parent's treat others.
11. Children need a say in their lives - they need to be the boss of something, even if it's just what they eat for breakfast.
12. It's not selfish to take care of yourself - it's necessary.
13. If you slip up and say that "not so nice" word, it will be the first thing they repeat at church.
14. Experiences are more important than "stuff".
15. A good tickle-fest is a great stress reliever for both child and mama (Thanks for this one, Jenica.)
16. Even if the only thing your two year old will eat for months on end is chicken and potatoes, they will, in fact, turn out ok.
17. I do not have to apologize for being a 'working' mother (what a stupid phrase - every mother i know works her a$ off). We are both happier because I do.
18. Sometimes, she will need a parent, not a friend.
19. Sometimes, she will need a friend, not a parent.
20. No matter how much you hate and abhor bathroom humor, your almost-three-year-old will love and adore it, and indulge in it every chance she gets.
21. She will always get hungry after she is in bed. Always.
22. I don't care what the books say, bribery can be an effective method of behavior change.
23. Sometimes, "I love you, Baby" is all she needs to hear.
24. Sometimes, "I love you, Mama" is all I need to hear.
25. I can trust my judgment when it comes to knowing what is best for my child, even if that decision flies in the face of everyone else's opinions.

4 comments:

jenica said...

i freakin' love you. you are such a great and present mother, a great example to me. xoxo

lindsey said...

no further explanation needed. you are way ahead of the game. love this.

xo

Anonymous said...

Those pics are awesome. I love that I have some of Mya's "last" nap with me and I will be lucky if I get some of Kaylee.

You are so good at living in the moment, whatever moment it is. LOVE this about you. xoxx

Nat said...

Thanks for this Amy. precious.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...