Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Home Sweet Home (an open letter to the Universe)


Dear Universe,

I'm sure by now you've seen the "for sale" sign out in front of my condo. You've probably gathered that it's time for me to move on, to find a new place to live after calling this place home for almost 9 years.

I have loved this home, loved it entirely. Within these walls, I've grown so firmly into myself. Here is where I held the idea of a "normal" home and family close, here is where that dream was shattered, and here is where a new dream, a better one, took roots and flourished. It's where I learned to forgive, to let go, and to move on. Here is where I became a mother, where I walked the halls with a screaming baby, sobbing because I didn't know what to do to make her stop and because I felt so helpless and alone. Here is where, only a few months later, I laughed and clapped as I watched her take her first steps down the same corridor. I've watched many sunrises out my bedroom window, some seen after getting up early to start another day and others viewed as I finally laid down to rest, tired from staying up all night reading, writing, soothing, talking, crying, laughing. This home has been a sanctuary, not just for me, but for others who have needed it's comfort and security and a refuge for friends to gather. Within these walls, I've been hurt, been built up, fallen out of love, fallen into it again, shaped my own future and began teaching my daughter how to shape hers. This is where my greatest fears were faced down, my bloodiest battles fought, and my sweetest victories realized. Yes, I have loved living here. And now it's time for someone new to occupy this little corner of the world.

It's time for me to move on, to a new space that will let me continue to stretch and grow, that will give Riley the space she needs to learn and grow. I'm busy looking, Universe, I'm doing the work, but I'd really appreciate your assistance in finding the right place. What I'm looking for is a safe, convenient location, preferably within Salt Lake City proper. I need at least 3 bedrooms, preferably 4, and at least 2 full bathrooms. I want plenty of living space and a decent sized kitchen. I'm leaning towards a townhouse with minimal maintenance, but I still need a small yard and patio area. I need a garage (it's Utah, after all) with room for my jeep and my bikes and my paddleboard (and room for the 'cross bike I'm going to buy this fall adn the kayak I need to get next spring). I'd really like plenty of light and big windows, and a view of the amazing mountains wouldn't hurt. Friendly neighborhoods with kids are a plus and a HOA with a swimming pool gets big points.

So what do you think, Universe? Can you help the right person find my condo and help me find the right home? I'm certain it's out there, and as noted above, I've been looking. Still, sooner is better than later and I'm ready and waiting (and pre-approved!) So let's get on the ball and find my new house. mmmmmkay?

As always, I'm so appreciative of the many good things you've steered my way. I know this is another one of them, so let's get a move on.

Sincerely yours,
Amy

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Let's get a move on just says it all :) It will happen. This is beautiful and I echo so many of the thoughts in leaving our home and moving here. It will all be okay and the right place will find you and Riley. xoxx

amy gretchen said...

It's hard to leave those places where so much life has been lived, but think of the amazing experiences & people who are waiting for you and Riley. The right place will find you or rather you will find it. I'm thrilled you've decided to stay close.

Steph said...

mmmkay?

Love that. :) I love your letter to the Universe too. It's a beautiful tribute to your living space.

I'm a big believer in writing things down to make them happen. I can't wait to hear all about your new digs when they show up.

Miss you,
Steph
xo

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...