Yesterday, as I went through my morning routine, this thought kept creeping into my mind: "The right thing to do for yourself is often the hardest". Because I couldn't shake it, I wrote it in my journal, made a couple of observations about times I experienced this truth, and then wrote "I need this to be reinforced for me today".
I put my journal down, picked up my keys and purse, and left for work.
Later in the day, I had a meeting with a woman I consider to be a personal and professional mentor. I relate to her several different levels - she understands what it means to be a single mom and a professional woman, she runs marathons, she is well-read and open-minded. She's beyond intelligent, she makes things happen, she works really hard and makes a difference in the world with her actions. Suffice it to say, I respect the HELL out of this woman, and when she talks, I LISTEN.
She arrived to our meeting a few minutes early and in that time, she told me of a few things she was dealing with personally that were less than ideal, but part of life. We chatted, I sympathized with her situation (knowing it only too well) and in wrapping the conversation up, she said "Well, you know, often the right things to do for ourselves are the most difficult."
It didn't hit me until later that she had reinforced the truth for me almost WORD FOR WORD on the same day it was on my mind. For this gift, from a woman I really admire, I am grateful.
1 comment:
A of all: This post spoke to me--nothing could be further from the truth especially for me personally. B of all: Some of the best or right choices we must make for ourselves may come easier or be considered "no brainers" for others under varying circumstances but for the individual facing the difficult choice...it takes a lot of inner strength to see it through. C of all: the beauty of it is that if we see it through the end result turns out better than we could have thought and the Big Guy knows that. D of all: I'm so *grateful* you wrote this. E of all: I heart you!!!
Post a Comment