It's almost 2 am and I am coming off of several days of having a sick child, a messy house, and a very backlogged to-do list. I am tired, I haven't eaten well or worked out for several days and I'm still feeling some leftover emotion after having dealt with a few lingering personal issues over the past couple of days.
Seems like a recipe for a meltdown, no?
But you know what? That's not where I am tonight.
Tonight, I am completely blissed out.
Despite the sick kiddo.
Despite the messy house.
Despite the list of stuff I need to get done.
Despite putting to rest the remnants of a complicated relationship.
Instead, I'm thinking about my night full of friends and laughter, an impromptu brownie baking session (not my best ever, but we ate them anyway), some hair dyeing, random comments from G$, some closet organization courtesy of Jenica, a little bit of text flirting, and a whole lot of goodness. I'm blissed out, I tell you.
B*L*I*S*S*E*D O*U*T.
Lately I've been thinking (and talking) a lot about the concept that we are all responsible for our own happiness, and that when we choose to be happy and then consciously create our lives so that it rests upon a strong foundation of happiness, we are protected when the inevitably harder parts of life show up. If we work to make this foundation strong and to keep it whole, the things that might otherwise rock our worlds may still cause some waves, but they can't shake our foundation of happiness. It's something I've tested out and know that it works well for me. I have spent a lot of time and energy building a life that I love, and when weeks like this one come, I'm reminded of how grateful I am for such a life, for this foundation.
This week has basically been a wash for me in the work department (having missed almost three days to care for Riley). I'm dreadfully behind and will likely be working all weekend to catch up. These types of weeks are inevitable. They happen, despite our careful planning and best efforts. Kids get sick. Life gets messy. Relationships end. Tragedies occur. It's part of life to have day, weeks, months, sometimes even years, where it seems like nothing is going right. And this is where that foundation becomes crucial, becomes critical.
Building this foundation is going to be a different process for everyone, because everyone's needs and desires are going to differ. My foundation starts with amazing friends and family who love and support me, and a wonderful daughter who is the greatest gift I've ever been given. Add to that a job that fulfills me, interests that keep me healthy and strong, faith in something bigger than myself, and a desire to learn and grow each and every day. Little by little, as I focus on these things, as I make them a priority, my foundation gets stronger and stronger and the hard times, well... they aren't so bad.
So today, as part of my continual practice of acknowledging and expressing gratitude for the good things in my life, I'm going to focus on those things that help me build my happiness foundation, that help me keep it strong, and that are instrumental in helping me create the life I love. Today, after a night of good times and laughter, I'm grateful for friends who clean my bathroom mirrors and fold my laundry while we talk and who not just listen but hear. They add so much to my foundation of happiness and the gift of their friendship has sustained me through a lot of hard times. And I'm not limiting this to those that were here in my home tonight, but to all of my wonderful friends who give me so much. Thank you, thank you. THANK YOU.
3 comments:
Isn't is a beautiful thing to get exactly what you need when you need it when you didn't even know exactly what it was you needed? (that was long and run on and I am leaving it!)
So happy your cup was re-filled last night!
i love your thoughts...you are dead on. Spending your time focusing on what really counts is where you will find your happiness. So glad to be apart of it.
you had me at brownies and hair dye! i hope this finds riley feeling better. sending more happiness thoughts your way. i love coming here.
xo
Post a Comment