photo by Carrie The past couple of months, I have been living in what I have titled "Extreme self-care mode". In a nutshell, this means I've been doing whatever is best for me (and Riley - she's an integral part of the decisions) so I can stay on top of my game. Taking care of number one. This has meant focusing on my priorities, saying no to those things I don't really want to do (that I normally would agree to), setting boundaries with people and situations that suck my energy, spending time on those things that fill me up, and making time for those people who love and understand me and for those causes that I truly believe in. I've drastically decreased the amount of time I spend online and have started turning my phone off a lot. I am making a conscious effort to be present in my interactions with others and also making sure to take care of my physical health by getting plenty of exercise and plenty of sleep.
This type of self-care has also meant taking the initiative to do the things that aren't much fun, but keep our lives running smoothly - things like making (and keeping) medical and dental checkups, keeping my house clean and organized, staying on top of the laundry instead of waiting for it to overtake my home, taking time to plan healthy meals and shop for groceries, and making sure my car and home are kept in good repair. It's not always fun, but I am finding my life works best when I function in "Extreme self-care mode".
Riley is with her dad for this whole weekend, and I am really excited to have some time to myself. I have a lot of plans for the weekend, and they all seem to circle back to this idea of "Extreme Self Care". I guess that means that I'm incorporating this type of thinking on a subconscious level, integrating it into my daily life. For me, this is a really good thing.
On the docket this weekend:
- cleaning my house and car
- running several errands
- hanging some photos that I am having printed
- making fresh salsa and enchiladas for lunch with friends
- long bike ride on Saturday morning
- swimming/biking brick workout tonight
- working on my September project (writing time and a photo date with myself)
- date with DMV Saturday night (we're going on a hike, then out to dinner, then a concert - fun!)
- getting a massage
- seeing an old friend who is in town for a few days
So tell me, what are your weekend plans? Are they things that help you take care of yourself?
2 comments:
I think I'll start with keeping up on my armpit situation...
hitting the farmer's market so i can make some jam. love love love it.
Post a Comment