Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Wendesday Miscellany

**I've started working downtown one or two days a week, and it's been a really fun way to shake up my work life. My new office is a bit more "corporate" than my University office and the energy there reflects this distinction. I wasn't sure how I'd react to the difference in atmosphere, but I am finding that I really enjoy it. Everyone I have encountered there is very friendly and helpful, and the view...oh, the view! I can look right out over Temple Square and Capitol Hill. It makes me so happy to glance out the window and see the city going about it's business.

**I'm not a huge fan of the holidays (in fact, it's more accurate to say that I dread them) but Riley is so excited about them and I am trying to make them as fun as possible, without going overboard. We have already received so many invitations for different events and parties - it looks like we have something every night in December, and it's not even Thanksgiving yet! I'm going to slash and burn through that list - I can't handle being that obligated- and only commit to the ones I really want to attend. Bah humbug? Yeah, probably.

**My condo board voted to install new window through our whole building, and while I wasn't thrilled about a major expense and renovation right before the holidays, I do think it will be a nice upgrade. I've also decided to refinance my condo, so I've been buried in the legwork that goes with those two things. It's been pretty painless, as these things go, but it will be nice to have them both over with and out of the way.

**I'm making some plans to head out to the East Coast with my girl in May or June (probably June). We are going to see some friends who just moved to New Jersey recently and also this girl, who I love and adore and can't wait to spend more time with. I've never been to NYC (other than layovers which don't count) and I'm excited to explore the city with my little one. I think she needs to attend a Broadway Musical - right? Which one for an almost four year old?

**I've got some serious musical obsessions going on over here: Courtyard Hounds, Sarah Barielles, Christina Perri, Ray LaMontagne, Amos Lee....some aren't so new, but wow...I can't get enough.

**I need some new reading material...what's on your list these days? I keep a list of books I want to read, but they all seem so heavy right now. I need light and easy, maybe fiction. Thoughts and suggestions are welcome.

3 comments:

Sam said...

Being crazy stressed during the holidays is for the birds. You don't have to run around like a chicken with its head cut off (like everyone else seems to do)! Just pick out some non-negotiables or maybe think about starting some new traditions with Riley. I know I'm looking forward to building a gingerbread house this year with Thomas.

As for reading stuff, I am your woman. You know I am crazy for books. I don't know what you really like, but here's some that I've enjoyed in the past few months: The Magicians by Lev Grossman, Prep by Curtis Sittenfeld, also American Wife by her as well. I also loved Mary Karr's memoir trilogy, especially Lit.

Nat said...

Jersey shore, baby. June? I'll mark my calendar. I guess we'd better tell Cam to find us a place to stay. :)

Midwestgirl said...

Books you say? Well I do work in a bookstore so I have a few suggestions for you. Pick up the Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins. It's a trilogy but if you like the first book, you're going to have to read the other two. And Double Take by Kevin Michael Connolly. It's a memoir told with humor, honesty and is totally uplifting. And my third and final suggestion, A Dog's Purpose by W. Bruce Cameron. Fiction told from the dogs' point of view. Sweet, heartwarming and he nails what we think our dogs are thinking.

And I have many more where those came from!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...