My return to good health started after I had my baby. It began as a way to lose the weight I had gained while I was pregnant, but I quickly found that exercise was a great stress reliever, something I desperately needed at the time. I was navigating my way through a divorce, had a newborn, and was working full time at a demanding job. Working out was usually the only thing I could do for myself and the only time I had to myself in the course of the day. Exercise led to better eating habits, better eating habits led to better sleep, better sleep made it possible to deal with the emotional demands of single motherhood, and dealing with those made me feel lighter and more stable. This led to increased energy, which led to...well, you can see...it's a cyclical thing.
Fast forward three years, and I feel like I am in the best health of my life. I bike, I swim (I learned a couple of years ago despite being terrified of it), I run (well, I don't for a couple more weeks-I'm rehabbing a torn hip flexor) and I make it a point to stay active all the time. I can bust out a triathlon with a few days notice. I can ride my bike insane amounts of miles if I feel the desire to do so. I am currently working on getting a more regular yoga practice incorporated into my day. I feel great about all of those things, but besides being phsyically fit, I am emotionally, mentally and spiritually healthy. I don't get sick, I rarely get headaches, I never suffer from backaches....I'm able to keep up with my fast-paced life and be the active, fun person and mother that I want to be. I'm happy and I get to teach Riley by example that good health is multi-dimensional and something that should be a priority in our lives.
It's not always easy to be healthy and balanced, and I don't believe it's really a destination you arrive at and - BAM!- you've achieved it. It's a continual pursuit, a way of life, a choice that you are constantly making, and I've learned to live with the 'two steps forward, one step back' approach. I truly believe, however, that good health is something that has to be prioritized in order to live a happy life. It's something that I, personally, treasure more than any money in the bank, more than any material possession. It allows me to fully enjoy my amazing life and all the incredible people and wonderful experiences that fill it up. And for that, I am so grateful.
2 comments:
There is so much I have learned from you in this area of life. So grateful for your example!
Amy - you're an inspiration! My daily yoga practice is one of the few things that keeps me so sane :)
Post a Comment